Essential oils are much more concentrated than flavouring oils. Essential oils are made by extracting the oils from nuts, seeds or plants in their concentrated form. Le Rêve oils are 100% pure – they are not diluted with any other additive. In most cases you will only need a few drops of essential oil in your baking to notice the flavour.
Here are a couple of fun ideas for adults and the kids!
For the Adults:
Spiced Choc-Orange Hot Cross Buns
A gourmet twist on the original! The chocolate is optional – you could keep them fruity by leaving out the chocolate if you wish. Makes 12.
450g bread flour
55g unsalted butter, melted
2 x 7g sachet dried yeast
Pinch sea salt
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
55g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
55g chocolate bits or sultanas
30g cocoa powder (optional)
30g dried cranberries
Zest from 1 orange
6 drops Orange Pure Essential Oil
2 tablespoons plain flour
- Add the milk and 50mL water to a saucepan and gently warm over low heat.
- Transfer the warm milk to a medium bowl and add the yeast.
- Combine flour, salt, spices and sugar (and cocoa if using it). Make a well and add melted butter, yeast mixture, beaten egg and Orange Pure Essential Oil. Mix together roughly.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Return the dough to a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave aside to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knock out the air. Sprinkle over the dried fruit and chocolate bits if using them and knead dough for 2 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 portions and roll each into balls. Evenly space them on a lined baking tray and then cover them with a tea towel for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- In the meantime, mix the plain flour and 2 tablespoons water together to make a thick paste.
- Gently pat down the buns and pipe a cross over the buns.
- Bake buns for 15 – 20 minutes at 190 degrees celsius.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and brush over some honey while still warm.
For the Kids:
Lemon Coconut Nests
A fun school holiday activity to get the kids involved in – for small and big kids alike!
3 tablespoons butter
6 cups Rice Bubbles cereal
4-6 drops Lemon Pure Essential Oil
1 cup chocolate pieces (eg. mini Easter eggs or m&ms)
30g desiccated coconut
- Melt butter and marshmallows in the microwave.
- Stir in Lemon Pure Essential Oil.
- Add Rice Bubbles, coconut and sprinkles (if using) and mix together.
- To make the nests, use a well-greased egg mold or a shallow macaroon baking tray and divide the mixture into even portions. Press an indentation into the middle of each with the back of a spoon or your thumbs.
- Leave to cool and harden in the fridge and then add the chocolate pieces into the middle of each nest.
IMPORTANT things you need to know before you get started:
1 – Before you use any oils in your baking you MUST check that they are of food or therapeutic grade and are registered with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) which is the governing body ensuring medical and health-related products are of a therapeutic standard suitable for consumption. Le Rêve Pure Essential Oils are proudly registered with the TGA and carry a unique registration number on every bottle.
2 – Use a glass or ceramic bowl to mix your ingredients that contain essential oils. Steer clear of using plastic bowls as the essential oils will seep into the plastic and spoil your baking.
3 – A little goes a long way. Add a couple of drops of essential oil at a time, stir and taste to achieve the desired flavor.