Heart shaped biscuits with jam
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- 225g unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 1 cup castor sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 450g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Ward’s Baking Powder
- ½ tsp McKenzie’s Bi-Carb Soda
- Pinch McKenzie’s Australian Natural Sea Salt
- 1 cup raspberry jam
- Icing sugar to serve
1. Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and light. Add vanilla essence and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder , Bi-Carb and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture to a form a dough. Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 170oC. Line three oven tray s with baking paper.
4. Lightly flour the work surface and roll out the dough evenly to a thickness of approximately 5mm. Using heart cookie cutters, cut out the shapes from the dough and arrange on the prepared baking tray. For half of the shapes, use a smaller heart cookie cutter to cut a hole in the centre for the jam to peek through.
5. Bake all biscuits for 10-12 minutes on the middle shelf. Allow the biscuits to cool completely on a cake rack.
6. To assemble, place a tablespoon of jam on each whole biscuit (with no hole). Top with the biscuit that has a hole in the centre and gently press down. Dust with icing sugar before serving.