When you think of home, you often think of the comforting feeling of being relaxed with none of the stresses the outside world has to offer. It’s the great feeling of being at home. However, are you prepared to handle emergencies that happen in your home? For example, in an instance where there is a fire, do you truly know what steps you need to take and how to properly react to it?

When put on the spot, many people scurry frantically trying to recall important steps and what the appropriate and correct responses are. Truth is, all the worry can be averted by taking the effort to learn about the most common fire hazards in your home. Did you know that pouring water to douse a grease or oil fire can create a movie-worthy explosion?

Read on to find out the 5 most common fire hazards in your home and how these can be averted and handled.

  1. Kitchen Dangers

According to the Victorian Metropolitan Fire Brigade, there were 1,565 preventable house fires in 2015 with 45% of those fires starting in the kitchen. The most common cause for a kitchen fire is  distraction. It’s extremely easy to turn on a digital stove these days with a switch of the knob which leads to easily forgetting that the stove was ever turned on in the first place. A simple walk out of the kitchen with the stove left on with something cooking on top of it could easily be cause for a fire to start.

This can be averted by mindfully turning the stove off every time you have to walk away. Where the fire has already started, the best course of action would be to have a fire blanket ready in the kitchen. Throwing a fire blanket onto a fire will remove all oxygen access to the fire thus dousing it quickly and avoiding any spread.

Ultimately, you have to trust your instincts. If the fire looks too big to put out on your own, it probably means that it is. In an instance like that, you will need to evacuate the building immediately and call 000.

  1. Fireplaces and Candles

You must ensure that any fire in your home is contained in places such as a fireplace or in items such as candles. You will have to ensure to not leave any of these unattended due to the ease of a fire spreading. Do not leave any flammable objects near the fire including textiles (such as curtains). For the fireplace, make sure you always use a screen to avoid any wandering hot ash.

  1. Dryers

If you’re looking to start a fire, there virtually isn’t anything better to start it than lint. For every time you fail to clean out the lint filter in your dryer, you are increasing the risk of lint built-up which will block the air filters of the dryer. In instances where the temperature of the dryer drum increases too high, all it takes is a simple spark to start a fire that will ravage through all the lint build-up increasing in both danger and size.

  1. Electrical Power Plugs

If the wiring system is faulty, electrical power plugs bear the risk of starting a spark that may turn for the worse and create a fire. This problem is very real and often is seen in homes that are older and not maintained. To avoid any electrical power plug sparks from occurring, you can install shutter power points that will only activate once you plug in an appliance.

  1. Electrical Systems

Over the recent years, there have been increasing news reports on electrical systems overheating and catching on fire. These systems include things such as laptops, mobile phones, gaming systems, among many others. To avoid any overheating of electrical systems, make sure that they are placed in areas with a lot of space and air ventilation to ensure the cooling of the systems. Be sure to check all the power cords attached to your electrical systems to ensure that there is no loose ends or broken parts. Make sure to never overload a power board as this will run the risk of overheating electrical systems faster.